WIDI Master: The wireless MIDI over Bluetooth adapter.
With WIDI Master you can connect all your MIDI devices without wires. No matter if they are master or slave. For instance, you can connect two standalone MIDI hardware devices by using two WIDI Masters. Furthermore, you can pair your Bluetooth MIDI controller with any standalone MIDI hardware device with one WIDI Master. Also, you can play your standalone MIDI hardware with any iOS device or Mac by using one WIDI Master. In this last case WIDI Master will switch automatically to slave mode using our smart algorithm.
In addition, for Windows and Android users, you can use our previous WIDI BUD to fully enjoy these benefits or wait for the next member of the WIDI family to arrive: WIDI uHOST!
What is so special about this MIDI over Bluetooth solution?
We offer a complete solution that will save you time and expand your opportunities with MIDI. For instance, you can pair your MIDI devices automatically. Also, we have built a secure connection implementing the Bluetooth MIDI standards as approved by the MIDI association.
Bluetooth MIDI has originally been developed by Apple, WIDI will operate with Apple seamlessly. On Windows PC Bluetooth MIDI requires your music software to implement Microsoft’s new UWP API which includes BLUETOOTH MIDI class compliant driver. You need to be able to set that functionality in the software you use.
How will Bluetooth MIDI and WIDI Master work for Windows and Android?
Is WIDI Master and Bluetooth MIDI reliable?
We have tested and selected the most advanced Bluetooth module with optimized antenna design to get reliable connectivity. Therewith WIDI Master delivers ultra low latency. Our dedicated BLE MIDI protocol is directly embedded in its firmware. Now you can bypass your computer's operating system (OS). And benefit from fast and reliable MIDI connectivity.
That is why in the eventual design the WIDI Master turned out to be a bit larger compared to the initial drawings. This had to be done to ensure that WIDI Master can take over the full control and function without any computer or other operating system that is is capable now of replacing.
WIDI Master is in essence a point-to-point solution. It is like a ‘virtual MIDI cable' allowing you to connect one device with one other. That said, technically it is possible to connect one master (or central point) and connect multiple slaves. But, we will need to test it more to ensure we deliver a suitable solution before we can make an official statement on this.
Also, we are working on a controller app, that will make it a lot easier to pair and control more complex WIDI Master setups. This will make life much easier when looking at these kind of setups. We will keep you posted on the progress on this matter.
I am excited that you are planning to make a tiny Bluetooth MIDI device that will be able to connect a controller to a synth. Quote as provided by a new registrant
The WIDI Master is a Bluetooth MIDI adapter. It implements BLE5 (Bluetooth 5) which improves the performance compared to our previous products that implement BLE4. In short, you are now able to enjoy an improved connection, lower latency, better reach and more stable jitter.
We offer a fully standalone wireless solution. Therefore, there is no need for an external power source or battery. WIDI Master uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology. That is why it is completely powered by your MIDI hardware. Now, you just power up your device and enjoy the freedom of WIDI Master.
What can WIDI do for you?
- Point to point MIDI connectivity: Simply replace your MIDI cables. Rearrange your studio and enjoy the freedom of WIDI
- Bluetooth 5: Go Faster, Go Further: Trusted technology for live and on stage. Secure connection with twice the speed and four times the range
- Ultra low latency: Go pro with ground-breaking latency reduction as low as 4ms. Automatic transmission optimization with smart algorithmic technology
- Automatic pairing: Setup instantly. Connect easily. Intuitive plug ‘n play with automatic master/slave switch and default pairing memory
- MIDI Clock and SysEx: Sync your drum machines, step sequencers and arpeggiators. Transmit all MIDI messages over Bluetooth
How many WIDI Masters do I need?
- MIDI to MIDI: You can pair two standalone MIDI hardware devices bu using a direct connection between two (2) WIDI Masters.
- Bluetooth (BLE) to MIDI: You can connect your bluetooth MIDI controller with any standalone MIDI hardware device by using one (1) WIDI Master that connects with your Bluetooth MIDI controller or or other similar device.
- MacOS/iOS BLE to MIDI: You can play your standalone MIDI hardware (automatic switch to WIDI Master slave mode) and pair it with your iOS device or Mac (For Windows and Android we suggest to use with our WIDI BUD or our future WIDI uHOST by paring it with one (1) WIDI Master.