WIDI Uhost: 3-in-1 USB MIDI Bluetooth Solution
With WIDI Uhost you connect all your class compliant USB MIDI devices - without wires - with Bluetooth MIDI. Now you can integrate BLE MIDI into your USB MIDI device for three different use cases:
- MIDI USB Host: Add BLE MIDI to your class complaint USB MIDI device.
- MIDI USB Slave: Add Bluetooth MIDI to your PC, tablet or smartphone.
- USB BLE Dongle: Boost BLE MIDI performance of your device
WIDI Uhost fulfils a universal role in MIDI communication. This means it automatically switches between the central and peripheral role. Or as we know it in the world of MIDI, master and slave. In addition the communication is bi-directional. Meaning you can sent from and towards the connected MIDI device simultaneously.
For instance, you can connect two standalone MIDI hardware devices by using two (2) WIDI Uhosts or a mixture with WIDI Master and WIDI Jack. Furthermore, you can pair your Bluetooth MIDI controller with any standalone MIDI hardware device using one (1) WIDI Uhost. Also, you can play your standalone MIDI hardware with any iOS device or Mac by using one (1) WIDI Uhost.
What is so special about WIDI?
With WIDI Uhost you get a complete solution that will save you time and expands your opportunities with MIDI. For instance, you can pair your MIDI devices automatically when using two WIDI devices. Also, you benefit from a secure connection following the Bluetooth MIDI standards as approved by the MIDI Manufacturers Association. Furthermore you can fully enjoy the freedom of Bluetooth MIDI both on stage as well as in the studio!
Just get rid of those cables!
These bullet points distinguish WIDI Uhost and the entire WIDI family from any other Bluetooth MIDI adapter currently on the market. In short we call this Smart Connectivity Algorithms or SCA!
Smart Connectivity Algorithms (SCA)
- Dual Role Automation - WIDI fulfils a universal role in MIDI communication. This means it automatically switches between the central and peripheral role. In addition it is bi-directional. You can sent from and towards the connected MIDI instrument simultaneously with WIDI Uhost.
- Automatic Pairing Mode - WIDI automatically pairs with any other WIDI family member. And with any Bluetooth MIDI controllers. For computers and mobile devices you can add automatic pairing by using WIDI Uhost.
- Smart Hub Functionality - WIDI is in essence a point-to-point solution. With today's Bluetooth technology it is possible to connect multiple WIDI products to one WIDI Uhost. This way you can connect one-to-multiple.
- Latency Reduction Optimization - WIDI implements a unique protocol to reduce latency in any given situation. Therewith we can reduce latency to 3ms between two WIDI products.
- Range Performance Optimization - WIDI offers a smart algorithm that negotiates the best performance with any given distance. Therewith you are assured of the best performance covering a reach of 20m (65ft) inside without obstacles and even more outside.
To get more insights in the capabilities and technical details of WIDI, we recommend to read this blog carefully as a starting point!
How will WIDI Uhost work for your operating system?
WIDI Uhost is the Bluetooth MIDI solution for USB MIDI. It functions as a high speed BLE MIDI dongle for your operating systems. Therewith it adds Bluetooth MIDI capabilities for Windows, Androïd, Linux and ChromeOS. It is as simple as connecting WIDI Uhost into your USB port and pair it with your BLE MIDI device or another WIDI device.
Between two WIDI devices we are able to reduce latency to a 3ms minimum. Furthermore you will benefit from the ease of automatic pairing. Besides this, you can bypass limitations of your original Bluetooth MIDI integration. This will turn out to be especially useful for MacOS and iOS users.
How many WIDI Uhosts do you need?
In short WIDI Uhost offers a reliable low latency solution for four specific use cases:
- USB MIDI to MIDI: Simply connect your class compliant USB MIDI hardware wirelessly with any standalone MIDI device using one (1) WIDI Uhost unit and one (1) WIDI Master/Jack unit.
- USB MIDI to Chrome OS/Linux/Win/Android: You can play with your USB MIDI hardware wirelessly with your Chrome OS/Linux/Windows/Android with two (2) WIDI Uhost units
- USB MIDI to Bluetooth MIDI: You can pair your USB MIDI hardware wirelessly with any Bluetooth MIDI device using one (1) WIDI Uhost unit.
- USB MIDI to iOS/macOS: You can integrate your USB MIDI hardware wirelessly with your iOS/MacOS device using one (1) WIDI Uhost unit. Or add a 2nd WIDI Uhost to benefit from higher performance and automatic pairing by bypassing the Bluetooth limitations of your operating system.
Cyril Lance – CTO Moog Music
I was lucky enough to be able to start working with a pair of prototype WIDI adapters from CME. They worked flawlessly and transparently – which is the goal of any good technology solution. I was very happy with them. It made connecting instruments to each other quick and easy without cabling or any setup even for instruments from different eras. For example, I immediately had our flagship synthesizer, the Moog ONE, controlling and being controlled by our older MIDI instruments and vintage MIDI controllers.
Additionally, WIDI makes it easy and transparent to connect any of our MIDI gear directly to a Bluetooth enabled device – most importantly for me, the iOS environment (iPads and iPhones) allowing me to quickly test features and connectivity without any setup and configuration hassles. For product development, this was a huge asset!”
WIDI Beta Tester (June, 2020) – There is NO commercial involvement or partnership between MOOG and CME