WIDI Jack: The wireless Bluetooth MIDI interface
With WIDI Jack you connect all your MIDI devices - without wires - with Bluetooth MIDI. Therewith WIDI Jack fulfils a universal role in MIDI communication. This means it automatically switches between the central and peripheral role. In addition it is bi-directional. You can sent from and towards the connected MIDI device simultaneously.
For instance, you can connect two standalone MIDI hardware devices by using two (2) WIDI Jacks or a mixture with WIDI Master. Furthermore, you can pair your Bluetooth MIDI controller with any standalone MIDI hardware device using one (1) WIDI Jack. Also, you can play your standalone MIDI hardware with any iOS device or Mac by using one (1) WIDI Jack.
What is so special about WIDI?
With WIDI Jack we offer you a complete solution that will save you time and expands your opportunities with MIDI. For instance, you can pair your MIDI devices automatically. Also, we have built a secure connection implementing the Bluetooth MIDI standards as approved by the MIDI association. Furthermore you can fully enjoy the freedom of Bluetooth MIDI both on stage as well as in the studio!
Just get rid of those cables!
These bullet points distinguish WIDI Jack and the entire WIDI family from any other Bluetooth MIDI adapter currently on the market. In short we call this Smart Connectivity Algorithms or SCA!
Smart Connectivity Algorithms (SCA)
- Dual Role Automation - WIDI Jack fulfils a universal role in MIDI communication. This means it automatically switches between the central and peripheral role. In addition it is bi-directional. You can sent from and towards the connected MIDI instrument simultaneously with WIDI Jack.
- Automatic Pairing Mode - WIDI Jack automatically pairs with any other WIDI family member. And with any Bluetooth MIDI equipped device like your mobile device, laptop or Bluetooth MIDI controller.
- Smart Hub Functionality - WIDI Jack is in essence a point-to-point solution. With today's Bluetooth technology it is possible to connect multiple WIDI products to one WIDI Jack. This way you can connect one-to-multiple.
- Latency Reduction Optimization - WIDI Jack implements a unique protocol to reduce latency in any given situation. Therewith we can reduce latency to 3ms between two WIDI products.
- Range Performance Optimization - WIDI Jack offers a smart algorithm that negotiates the best performance with any given distance. Therewith you are assured of the best performance covering a reach of 20m (65ft) inside without obstacles and even more outside.
To get more insights in the capabilities and technical details of WIDI, we recommend to read this blog carefully as a starting point!
How will Bluetooth MIDI and WIDI work for Windows and Android?
Bluetooth MIDI has originally been developed by Apple. Therefore you will encounter no complexity while working with WIDI on Apple products. In addition, for Windows and Android users, you can use the next member of the WIDI family to arrive: WIDI UHost!
WIDI UHost is the Bluetooth MIDI solution for USB MIDI. More about that later!
On Windows PC Bluetooth MIDI requires your music software to implement Microsoft’s new UWP API which includes the BLUETOOTH MIDI class compliant driver. You need to be able to set that functionality in the software you use.
How many WIDI Jacks do you need?
In short WIDI Jack offers a reliable low latency solution for three specific use cases:
- MIDI to MIDI: You can pair two standalone MIDI hardware devices by using a direct connection between two (2) WIDI Jacks.
- Bluetooth (BLE) to MIDI: You can connect your Bluetooth MIDI controller with any standalone MIDI hardware device by using one (1) WIDI Jack that connects with your Bluetooth MIDI controller or similar device.
- MacOS/iOS BLE to MIDI: You can play your standalone MIDI hardware (automatic switch to WIDI slave mode) and pair it with your iOS device or Mac. For Windows and Android we suggest to use with our WIDI BUD or our future WIDI Uhost by paring it with one (1) WIDI Jack.
Tom White – Former President of MMA
Bluetooth MIDI is the industry standard from the MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) for wireless MIDI connections, and the CME WIDI Master is the first Bluetooth MIDI adapter that can perform as both a “peripheral” or “central” device, allowing fast, low-latency, and stable point-to-point wireless connections between any two devices. This opens new possibilities for all musicians and gives them more freedom in the studio and on the stage.”
MIDI Manufacturers Association (June, 2020)